Wednesday 27 January 2010

Interlude

I thought I'd create a little mid point, a little change of pace, where instead of yet another poem, I thought I'd answer some things that people have asked me (an insight into the mind of me). Yeah I know, scary thought huh?

First, for all those enquiring minds... yes I am still writing, little by little, slowly it is coming along. Time is very rare these days to actually sit down and spend a chunk of concentration on 1 thing. Working full time and studying a new course that is (for lack of a better word) alien to me means that my spare time is pretty much non-existant until I get into the swing of things again. I will have more new stuff up though as soon as I possibly can.

I have noticed over the course of the past few months that a lot of my writing is very dark and troubled. This is just simply what comes to me when I watch people. Using public transport everyday gives me an excellent opportunity to analyse people's actions and study what lies in their eyes. (A favourite hobby of mine I guess) Sometimes I will see pain in someone's eyes and my brain just jumps into action. Within seconds I can have a background story for why that is and then out comes the trusty little blackberry to note down what I am thinking. Then before I know it, I have twisted and turned the words out of nothing and there is a poem there.

So when you see yet another dark and twisted poem or random thought, they are not always motivated by what is in my own mind but they do come from somewhere real in me. I understand and know those thoughts and feelings because I wouldn't recognise it in someone else if I hadn't felt it at least once myself.

So now you know and I bet you are glad you asked haha

3 comments:

  1. Wise words, hun :) I've written something along the same lines in the intro to my book too, since there are a lot of dark poems in it. It's not like you have to have experienced everything yourself to write about it :) Inspiration can come from other people, a song, a movie, a picture even :)

    I understand that you have a lot going on right now, but hope you won't abandone your writing totally, you are super talented and I love reading your words :)

    *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we grab inspiration from what's happening around us, in this world you and I are living in now, it's bound to project into your writing as dark/troubled texts, as it's a reflection of what's going on in the world. To say you're inspired by the world, and only have happy, cheerful poems would in the end be quite naïve and a little bit ignorant, as it'd be to only see what you want to see.

    You, however, choose to be sincere and not twist the reality. It gives more credability to your poems, and because all of us are co-ecisting in this world together, right NOW, we can relate to what you're writing. At least I can...which is what makes it so easy to understand what you talk about, even if you write just a few lines. You just help us see what you want us to see, what you want us to feel.

    I think words are pretty darn amazing that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, hun! I see it like this: poetry is reality filtered through the writers eyes, with a little touch of his/her experiences :)

    ReplyDelete