Thursday 28 January 2010

Liberation is a dream

Tired
Beaten and broken down,
You get your way every time.
No matter how hard I try,
How much I fake a smile,
I can never please you
I'm never enough.
I wear my hair one sided
In hope no-one will see
That they’ll avert their eyes
To these scars, this blood,
You've left on me.
Still I cannot hide it
Cannot scrub it off
It wears me like an accessory
A scarf for all to see.
Little by little
Piece by piece
You tear from me
But still I cannot cry,
I have no tears
For what you've done to me,
This will never end
This nightmare by my side
Unless I take control
Find a strength,
Some courage to walk
More fear to stay
Instead it’s other way around.
‘Cos deep inside I know you
You'd never give up searching
Hunt me like an animal
So here I remain
Vulnerable and unprotected.
But you cannot take my dreams
My silent ambition to break away
They hide beneath the surface
Some place where I'm free
In another life perhaps
Where we have never met
And the broken one is you.

3 comments:

  1. wow, you never disappoint, hun! powerful and heartbreaking at the same time.

    I love this line:
    "It wears me like an accessory"
    so evident that she's no longer in charge of anything in her life, not even her bruises.

    She's alive only in her dreams, and will exist as long as he can't take them from her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hurts knowing I can feel the pain, not the physical, but the mental pain, without having gone through what the character in this poem's going through...words are truly powerful weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me sad to think how many people (women AND men) who live in abusive relationships, how they are forced into believing that there is no way out, I love how the "i" in this poem still have strenght to keep the dreams, to me that means there is still hope...

    ReplyDelete